Coolgirlsar Photos

Welcome to my blog, here I'll discuss goodness knows what but mostly I hope to discuss my photos that I've taken and in some cases played around with. I hope you all like what you see and please feel free to leave any comments which as always are very much appreciated and big thanks for all those kind enough to leave them.

Thank You.

Sarah. xxx

Friday 4 April 2008

Selective Colouring

You know that little thing where you have a black and white photo with a splash of colour, well that's selective colouring. Until last year I didn't know what it was called or how to do it but thanks to some wonderful people at Photography Blog I learned how to. There are many ways in which to do this but I've found a free software programme called GIMP which allows you to do so and then a talk through guide at Create Blog which is easy to follow.

Here are some examples of what I've done. I've posted the original photo and then afterwards with the selective colouring.





This photo I did using a trial version of photoshop, it involves layers and you cutting out from the original colour photo the areas you wanted (in this case my nieces red top, the Union Jack on my nephew's trousers and the orange in the back of my son's shoe), then changing the photo to B&W, creating a new layer, pasting over the colouring bits and merging together, well I think that's how I did it, was so long ago. Very long winded and you need a very very very steady hand. Still I like how this turned out and to me gives an age old effect to the photo that makes it feel timeless.

Another photo I did (this time using GIMP) was this one.





The GIMP way was a lot lot lot easier to use and if you made a mistake easier to rectify.

I have other photos I've done, all can be seen in my flickr account which is linked to at the side. I just need to find other colours other than red to selective colour.

7 comments:

bloggin_momma said...

wow thats really cool i cant wait to give it a try

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

I have GIMP and access to Photoshop up the road and they're both really cool - love the pix, love the blog!

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogspot.com

bloggin_momma said...

thanks ive never really blogged befor but yeah i think it will become addictive :)

kelseroo said...

Very nice information! I like your blog:-) Feel free to check mine out
http://buttercup-dailystories.blogspot.com/

coolgirlsar said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. I'll be sure to check out your blogs too.

Sarah.

Tairebabs said...

Very nice!

Will give this a try immediately.

Anonymous said...

Love the desaturation -- really brins out the red!